Historic Light Station Information
CAPE DECISION LIGHT-ALASKA
Location: S. KUIU ISLAND/SUMNER STRAIT/SHAKAN BAY
Station Established: 1932
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1932
Automated? YES 1974
Foundation Materials: ROCK
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE ART DECO
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1932
- Congress appropriated $59,400 in 1929 and construction began in September of that year. However, weather and inadequate funds delayed the completion of the station which finally became active in March of 1932. The total cost ended up in excess of $150,000.
- In 1989 fire damaged the tram, dock, boathouse, hoist house, paint shed and helipad.
- Original 3rd order Fresnel lens was replaced in 1996 with solar powered aero beacon. The lens is on display in Clausen Museum in Petersburg
- The station has been leased to Cape Decision Lighthouse Society established in 1997 to refurbish the facility and eventually open it to the public.
- Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. It is currently an active aid to navigation.