Historic Light Station Information
GUARD ISLANDS LIGHT - ALASKA
1947 PHOTO OF THE 1924 GUARD ISLANDS LIGHT TOWER
Location: TONGASS NARROWS ENTRANCE/CLARENCE STRAIT
Station Established: 1904
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1924
Automated? YES 1969
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE ON OIL HOUSE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1904
- Construction began in the summer of 1903 but halted for the winter. The light was completed in lit by September 1904. Classified as a minor light it had a fixed white fourth order lens. This was one of only three stations in Alaska where families were permitted to live.
- Improvements were made in 1922 when a reinforced concrete fog-signal building replaced the bell struck every 20 seconds by clock work machinery. The original bell tower was also improved and heightened.
- In 1938-39 a radio telephone and a radio beacon monitoring system were installed.
- In 1956 the radio beacon was modified for both marine and aircraft navigation.
- Station was automated in 1969.
1904 GUARD ISLANDS LIGHT TOWER
Sitnews - Stories In The News - Ketchikan, Alaska